Warren Roberts, the Libraries' GIS Specialist, will offer two hands-on GIS workshops focused on community mapping.
Thursday, February 26, 9am - Noon
Thursday, March 12, 1pm - 4pm
Honnold/Mudd Library, Keck Learning Room
You are invited to attend either of these GIS workshops, which will emphasize mapping demographics (for any county in the US). Participants will be introduced to basic GIS concepts and guided on where to obtain census information. Each student will learn how to present detailed demographic data in compelling new ways using the GIS tools.
All students, faculty, and staff are invited! Participants involved in the research, study, and involvement of populations will find the tools essential in the analysis of demographics, support of community based grants, examination of where alumni populations reside to support fund raising or to support funding based activities of the population you serve.
A highlight of the workshop will be learning to create custom thematic maps showing detailed variations of the demographics for any given location in the US. Thematic maps allow you to map your community and "shade" the map to show which neighborhoods have the highest concentrations of numerous demographic variables such as poverty, income, race, age, ancestry, educational attainment, etc.
Attendance at a past introduction to GIS session is recommended but not required.
During the workshop each participant will
- Develop a basic understanding of GIS
- Understand Census terminology and geography
- Locate and download 1990 & 2000 Census data via the Internet
- Perform basic quantitative analysis using GIS tools
- Understand opportunities to perform comparative analysis with other GIS data such as voting history, crime, etc.
- Workshop handouts with step-by-step instructions
- An ESRI Online Virtual Campus course
- Links for other resources such as GIS data
The Libraries' GIS Specialist will remain after class to answer questions. Seating is limited (16 seats) so registration is recommended but not required. If you are interested in using your own laptop, please arrive early to install GIS software.